Kdrama Review: Scarlet Heart Ryeo


Everyone might have been completely healed from the Scarlet Heart Syndrome by now while I am here, still bleeding and aching after watching it a few days ago.

Honestly, I still feel weak right now. I do not know how to move on from this drama. It was perfectly done to play with someone’s feelings. What a roller coaster of emotions. Haha!


Historical or period dramas are the least of my priorities when choosing to watch a series. So, I did not give it a try during its release in 2016. I remember the last historical dramas I watched were Jewel in the Palace and Jumong during high school (a million years ago). If not for Lee Joon Gi’s amazing performance and charisma in Lawless Lawyer, I might have missed this masterpiece. I guess I need to write about this drama to go on with my life because this really left a hole in my heart.


Scarlet Heart Ryeo is about a girl from the present time, Go Ha Jin, played by IU, who was transported back to Goryeo Era and became Hae Soo. She met the princes of Goryeo and has changed the history since then. All of the princes fell in love with Hae Soo’s beauty and character, even the hardhearted 4th prince Wang So portrayed by my love, Lee Joon Gi. 


Prince Wang So has a scar on his face which he hides with a mask. This scar made people, even his own queen mother think he is a monster who only brings bad luck. For me, it is not too much of a big deal nowadays having scars like that compared to the old times, is it? But Hae Soo helped him with his issues until he became the King. 


As always, Joon Gi’s acting was excellent. You can see that the whole drama revolves around him. His expressive eyes and gentle smile will make any girl fall in love with him instantly. His physique and fighting skills made him perfect for the role. You do not want me talking about his long hair in this drama because he is too perfect with it, plus the horse-riding and the king outfits. Awww! Wang So took over my heart!


There are funny and cute scenes in the beginning until Hae Soo and Wang So developed feelings for each other. I was touched by how Wang So showed his affection and genuine love for Hae Soo. However, towards the end, I just found myself crying a river. I felt pain, sadness, happiness at the same time during the last episodes. It was painful because most of my well-loved characters died, and I expected that Wang So and Hae Soo would be together, but it did not happen. Still, I was happy because I am left with good memories of Hae Soo and the princes. The end of the story is heart-shattering yet satisfying.


This drama made me feel that I also lived with them during the Georyo era, wearing fancy gowns with nice hair and all Haha! That’s how deep Scarlet Heart has affected me. 

Though, I thank God that I did not live in that place and time. Hae Soo said that to live in the palace is like walking on thin ice every day, like what was depicted in the drama. I don’t know if I can survive fixed marriage or being a man’s concubine. People in our present time have too many privileges and freedom far too different from the past. We can choose who we want to be with, we can voice our opinions toward the government. We are free to go to places as we wish. 


In the end, we are left with great lessons in life. Time passes so fast. Life is fleeting. 

Everything is temporary. Every human being deserves love.


This drama is indeed very special to me. I would watch it over and over again. I hope it’s true that there will be part 2! Can’t wait for it! Fighting! \^o^/



P.S. I was listening to Scarlet Heart’s OST while writing this and oh! the songs are all good! I can listen to them for a year. Need not to mention “Say Yes” by Punch. Daebak! It’s full of love!


Comments

Popular Posts